Friday, October 12, 2012

Playing catch up..

Well, I said I would stay on top of this blog and since I am nearing the one year mark in updates I figured I should probably throw something up here.
Well, school ended last year and our summer was filled with lots of stuff: My youngest sister was married, we spent time in So. Cal., we took the kids camping again, Kody lived on an airplane for the month of August I think (he was working like crazy & that month is all a blur to me), and then--as soon as I was about to catch my breath--school started again. Bleh. I'll get to that one later. In other, more notable news, the twins turned 5. CRAZY. For the first time ever they asked for different parties and since I figured I might kind of owe them at least a couple of those throughout their childhood, the big 5th birthday seemed like a good way to knock one (or two) of those out. Delaney asked for a Fairy Princess party, complete with fairy makeovers. It was a blast, and I think I may have had the most fun transforming my dining room and living room into a fairy beauty parlor complete with manicures, up-do's and fairy dusting. Delaney had about 12 little girls over, all decked out in their favorite dress-up, to get prettied up and eat frilly foods--it was so cute! 

The birthday girl, at the entryway to her salon (thank goodness for hand-me-down items from my sister Katelyn's wedding--all the fabrics & accents were happily recycled as fairy decor).  


 This lace is actually two very cheap veils that were purchased online as options for my sister, which ended up being true to their value (cheap), therefore not used at the wedding,  and became a cute canopy for the eating area. :)


My sweet girl.

 For some reason about a week before the party I decided to clean out my fabric bag (don't let that"fabric bag" comment fool you--I am not some sewing prodigy you never knew about---I've made baby items and pillowcases and some quilts with assistance...that is all). In cleaning out the fabric bag I came across some cute stuff I forgot about and thought: "I should learn how to make these into skirts for the girls." Which then led to: "I should just make skirts for all the girls at Delaney's party as a party favor."  Thankfully, one of my friends in the neighborhood was also teaching herself how to do this same task and she helped me tackle it and I was able to knock it all out within a day with some babysitting assistance from my parents. I can't say much for the quality of these skirts, but they looked cute all hung up and Delaney was super excited about it, so it was totally worth it.


 Fairy dusting. You'll notice my "fancy" dress, as Delaney called it. If you ever wonder what to do with old bridesmaids dresses I finally figured it out: You wear them to your five-year old daughter's fairy party.

 Some of the fairies. We had the best day, and I highly recommend at least one super girly birthday party while your daughter(s) are young--it will melt your heart. :)

No comments: